Saturday, December 24, 2011

December 23 - Why I Still Believe in Santa Claus and You Should Too

I have a confession to make.


I am 22 years old, and I still believe in Santa Claus.


I promise, I'm not delusional.


No, really, I'm not.


I no longer leave out cookies and milk on Christmas Eve. I've been giving my Christmas wish list to my mom for many more years than I mailed it to the North Pole. I've heard the stories about my parents putting together legos and other toys in the middle of the night, while their little ones were nestled snug in our beds.


But, I still believe in Santa Claus.


I believe that every year, during the Christmas season, Santa Claus makes little guest appearances through acts of pure selflessness and kindness.


This year, there were the Kmart Layaway Angels. People in different areas of the country were inspired to help families pay off gifts for their children.


Santa Claus.


The Pottstown Mercury's Operation Holiday raised over $52,000 to provide gifts for 601 children and food for 230 Pottstown-area families that needed a little extra help this year. Many of those donations were $50, $100, or even $1,000 donated by individuals, many anonymous.


Santa Claus.


A million and one small acts of kindness and gratitude happen each day. A dollar (or diamond!) in a Salvation Army kettle. A kind smile and a jolly "Happy Holidays!". Bundles of toys donated to Toys for Tots. A thoughtful note for someone who is having a bad day. Having the "Pay it Forward" attitude. 


Santa Claus.


Santa Claus is the personification of the Christmas spirit. The mere idea that a man devotes his entire life to giving to others without any sense of prejudice; to work endlessly towards making sure children have toys and know that they are loved without expecting anything in return (except maybe a few cookies), that is a person who can inspire the same sense of selflessness and kindness in others. 


It's evident every year around this time that people are reminded of that spirit. You see it all around, in something as small as a smile.


I believe that it is important to continue to believe in Santa Claus. He reminds us to be selfless and kind to strangers, family, and friends without expecting anything in return. He reminds us to be like him.


So, yes, I am an adult, and I believe in Santa Claus, and I think you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment