Saturday, December 3, 2011

December 2 - Christmas Music That Isn't Too Christmas-y

I'm going to try to post something fun that is holiday-related every day for the month of December, because the holiday season makes my heart sing and I like to share the joy. Don't worry, I won't actually sing.


I know that not everyone is not like me, and some people need to ease into this festive time, so here are some of my favorite Christmas/Winter songs that aren't too Christmas-y (meaning, they are not constantly being played on the radio/in stores/on the street/on television/in your head during December).


Winter Song by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson

A nice, slightly sad, winter song that does not mention Christmas even once. Also, can these two lovely ladies do more duets? And how cute is the music video?

River by Joni Mitchell, Live

Again, kind of sad, but so amazingly beautiful. This one does mention Christmas, but it is not the main focus, and is part of a completely non-Christmas album (love love love Blue). There are many wonderful covers of this song, but the original is unsurpassable.

Winter Winds by Mumford and Sons

All you need to know about this song is that it is Mumford and Sons singing a winter song. Perfect for cozying up by the fire on a chilly night.

White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes

Take what I just said about Winter Winds, but replace Fleet Foxes with Mumford and Sons.

2000 Miles by Coldplay, Live (The Pretenders Cover)


Um, is anyone else starting to sense a theme? Apparently, I equate sad Christmas-ish songs with not being too Christmas-y. Either way, I love this version of this Pretenders classic.

Winter Song by Caesars

I also seem to think that if a song has the word "Winter" in the title, it's automatically appropriate for December without being too holiday-centric.

Did I miss any? 

Hope this helps ease everyone into the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment