Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Fall Shows: Person of Interest


I'm a big J.J Abrams fan so I was super excited for this new show on CBS since it was developed by J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan, AND it stars Michael Emerson, who played the infamous character Ben on LOST. Plus, the description of the show sounded quite unique.


"PERSON OF INTEREST stars Jim Caviezel, Emmy Award winner Michael Emerson and Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson in a crime thriller about a presumed dead former-CIA agent, Reese, who teams up with a mysterious billionaire, Finch, to prevent violent crimes by using their own brand of vigilante justice. Reese's special training in covert operations appeals to Finch, a software genius who invented a program that uses pattern recognition to identify people about to be involved in violent crimes. Using state-of-the-art surveillance technology, the two work outside of the law, using Reese's adept skills and Finch's unlimited wealth to unravel the mystery of the "person of interest" and stop the crime before it happens. Reese's actions draw the attention of the NYPD, including homicide detective Carter, and Fusco, a cop whom Reese uses to his advantage. With infinite crimes to investigate, Reese and Finch find that the right person, with the right information, at the right time, can change everything." - CBS.com






After watching this show, I am a little on the fence about whether or not I would like to keep watching. I am very intrigued by the fact that this show is unlike any other on television, combining mystery, crime, drama, and action. It is also fascinating from a post-9/11 perspective since the machine that Emerson's character developed to predict crimes was invented in an attempt to prevent the next 9/11 from happening, and does so by the government observing every citizen using security cameras that are everywhere. 






The one aspect of the show that I can't quite decide if I like or not is the character Reese. He is supposed to be "the hero" of the show, but a dark one, and to be quite honest, he kind of scares me. This is actually a good thing since his character is someone you should be scared of; he is extremely multidimensional. Just because he is working to stop crimes and save people, and he will only kill someone if he has to, he chooses to remain isolated from society; he is stoic and rather cold (Also, is it just me, or does he look like a slightly older Jack Shepard?). I'm just trying to decide if he creeps me out TOO much to keep me from watching.






Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous that I wouldn't watch a show that I otherwise like because a character is a little creepy. 


I'm a scaredy-cat, so be it.


So for now, I am going to keep watching, and give it a whole-hearted recommendation, but I can't make any promises that I  will keep watching.


Also, I must say Michael Emerson is incredibly perfect for the role of Finch. He is awesome. 






So if you're looking for a new Abrams-fix and something different, give Person of Interest a try on CBS, Thursday night at 9 PM.


Looking forward to Pan Am tonight!


All photos courtesy of CBS.com

No comments:

Post a Comment