Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Year's Resolution - Go Lightly

I'm about a week late with this...but better late than never.


I don't normally make resolutions because I typically end up forgetting them. But this year I decided to make a resolution as well as a bucket-list for the year of things I would like to try to do, and write them down somewhere where I will see them to remind myself.


My resolution is to be more lighthearted; to spend more time enjoying those small, happy moments every day rather than wasting my energy worrying about the big things that I have no control over. If something is not meant to be, it's not meant to be and I don't want to waste even a few precious seconds beating myself up over things when I could spend that time laughing or making a happy memory.


I want to wear dresses just because, sing and dance at my desk at work, jump in every puddle I see, climb trees, swing on swings, and play to my heart's content.


My bucket-list for the year also plays into this since I want to spend my time actually doing the things that I always dream about doing. But if I don't do them this year, or ever, that's okay.


Ready? Here we go:

  1. Laugh and smile more, worry less
  2. Spend more time with my family and friends (this includes being better at responding to emails, phone calls, etc.)
  3. Teach myself to play the guitar (I sorta already started trying this one at the end of 2011)
  4. Run a half-marathon (hopefully to be followed by a marathon in a future year)
  5. Go somewhere (preferably another country but anywhere will do) where I have never been before
  6. Purchase a Digital SLR camera so that I may better capture those "small, happy moments" that I try so hard to catch, but fail to, with my camera phone/point and shoot
  7. Go to more shows (music, musicals, plays, etc.)
  8. Catalog more moments through writing, pictures, etc.
  9. Try something new as often as possible
  10. Write a book, or simply write
  11. Find more time to give back

I have many things, both big and little, that I would like to do in the next year, but most of all, in order to do all those things, I simply want to remember to be more 'go-lightly'.

In fact, I encourage everyone to be more lighthearted this year. It is not easy thing to do in the face of all of our daily, and yearly, challenges, but give it a try. Smile even when you don't feel like it, and take every opportunity you can to laugh. 

Go-Lightly...But don't smoke.


Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment