I don't normally make resolutions because I typically end up forgetting them. But this year I decided to make a resolution as well as a bucket-list for the year of things I would like to try to do, and write them down somewhere where I will see them to remind myself.
My resolution is to be more lighthearted; to spend more time enjoying those small, happy moments every day rather than wasting my energy worrying about the big things that I have no control over. If something is not meant to be, it's not meant to be and I don't want to waste even a few precious seconds beating myself up over things when I could spend that time laughing or making a happy memory.
I want to wear dresses just because, sing and dance at my desk at work, jump in every puddle I see, climb trees, swing on swings, and play to my heart's content.
My bucket-list for the year also plays into this since I want to spend my time actually doing the things that I always dream about doing. But if I don't do them this year, or ever, that's okay.
Ready? Here we go:
- Laugh and smile more, worry less
- Spend more time with my family and friends (this includes being better at responding to emails, phone calls, etc.)
- Teach myself to play the guitar (I sorta already started trying this one at the end of 2011)
- Run a half-marathon (hopefully to be followed by a marathon in a future year)
- Go somewhere (preferably another country but anywhere will do) where I have never been before
- Purchase a Digital SLR camera so that I may better capture those "small, happy moments" that I try so hard to catch, but fail to, with my camera phone/point and shoot
- Go to more shows (music, musicals, plays, etc.)
- Catalog more moments through writing, pictures, etc.
- Try something new as often as possible
- Write a book, or simply write
- Find more time to give back
I have many things, both big and little, that I would like to do in the next year, but most of all, in order to do all those things, I simply want to remember to be more 'go-lightly'.
In fact, I encourage everyone to be more lighthearted this year. It is not easy thing to do in the face of all of our daily, and yearly, challenges, but give it a try. Smile even when you don't feel like it, and take every opportunity you can to laugh.
|Go-Lightly...But don't smoke.|
Happy New Year.